"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Finished compost

Like magic, the pile of grass, leaves, manure, and garden debris that I created in the spring has transformed into dark, crumbly compost! I was careful this time to keep the pile small (about 6 x 10 feet and no taller than 4 feet high) and I was diligent about layering the ingredients. I also added biodynamic compost starter, a mixture of herbs and bacteria which helped to stimulate the proliferation of beneficial soil organisms and enzymes. The best part of this compost is that I never once had to turn the pile. I have two additional piles cooking and will create another using all of the garden debris from the fall cleanup. I will use this compost to spread on the garden, rich food for the worms and for next year's crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment