"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Basil and basil pesto

There is nothing that says summer more than a plate of sliced tomatoes topped with fresh green basil. I can't think of another herb that packs so much flavor into its leaves. When I'm out in the garden, I'll pick large bunches of basil just so I can bury my nose in it and inhale the fresh scent. I keep a bunch of it in a glass on the windowsill above the kitchen sink and add it to just about all my summer recipes. This is the time of year that basil works mightily to put up flowers and go to seed. Rather than struggling to cut the white flower stalks each day, I've decided to pull the plants and make pesto to freeze for the winter. Basil pesto is easy to make and freezes well and it will remind me of summer long after the garden has been put to bed.
Basil Pesto
2 cups of basil leaves
1/2 cup pgrated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup nuts (pignoli, walnuts, almonds)
2-3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper

Chop garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add the basil leaves and chop. Add the olive oil in a steady stream until incorporated. Add the nuts and then the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste at the end. You can adjust the amounts according to taste. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish i had an abundance of basil so I could make trays and trays of delicious pesto
    :(

    ReplyDelete