"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Life is a bowl of cherries


Tomatoes, that is. I keep a big bowl of these cherry tomatoes on the kitchen table to snack on during the day. The tomatoes are coming in strong and I have to make sure to pick them every day because if left on the vine too long, the tomatoes will crack. Of course, I planted way more than we can eat so I've been selling nice sized bags of mixed varieties for a couple of weeks now. I like to mix the colors up to challenge people to try the different kinds. My personal favorite is called Black Prince, a small to medium size tomato that is an unusual mahogany brown color with a distinctively rich fruity tomato flavor. It is the one I choose for my salads and sandwiches every time. I make sure to include one in every bag I sell.

Black Prince

1 comment:

  1. Barbara sent me this recipe for cherry tomatoes: If you still have an abundance of cherry tomatoes, put in a baking dish, drizzle over an ample amount of olive oil, salt pepper,4-5 crushed garlic cloves, a sprig of thyme, basil& parsley, bake 425 until they almost burst.. serve over crusty ciabatta, the oil is great and now flavored with all thie ingredients...

    ReplyDelete