"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Monday, April 12, 2010

Busy week ahead

I've begun moving trays out to the cold frame to harden off the seedlings. The unheated cold frame is where the plants gradually get used to being outside in more direct sunlight, wind, and a wider range of temperatures. This gradual hardening off readies the plants for life in the outdoors, provides for a smooth transition to the garden and decreases the likelihood of transplant shock. So far I've moved lettuce, Napa cabbage, bok choy, onions, beets, scallions, and kale to the cold frame and will transplant them to the garden later this week. These are all early season crops, in fact they prefer the cool temperatures, and can withstand light frosts in the garden.
My friend Charlie removed another section of sod to make room for the dahlias and zinnias. Next will come the compost and the addition of rock powders to make this new area suitable for growing. The good news is that I have finished dividing and pre planting the dahlias. There are boxes of them covering the floor of the poly house, but they are 'eyeing up' nicely and will be fairly well established by the time I move them to the garden in May. Dahlias are not frost hardy and so I must wait until after the frost free date, May 15th in our area, before I can plant them. They too will spend a week or so in the cold frame acclimating to the outside before their final garden destination.
I direct seeded (planted the seeds directly into the garden) broccoli raab, another early season crop that prefers the cool nightime temperatures. This week I will also plant seeds of Swiss chard and radishes. Somehow I will find some more room in the poly house because it is time to plant the tomatoes. I could not resist and bought more tomato varieties than I can possibly grow, but how can you say no to Brandywine, San Marzano, and Sun Gold? How could I forget Moskvich, Sweet Juliet, and Gold Medal? And the irresistable Speckled Roman, Moonglow, and Amish Paste? Well, you'll see what I mean when you taste them in August. My mouth is already watering..... It is also time to seed a tray each of basil and fennel.
The freezer and refrigerator have been moved to the garage. The garage is open every day. Help yourself to Colleen's soups and bread, daffodil bunches and chives. The prices are posted.
My gardening schedule this week:
Tues and thursday mornings until 11:00
Friday afternoon
Saturday
(My gardening schedule is subject to change, but I will try to post chores on the garage doors.)

1 comment:

  1. I really cant wait to come home and see all the progress :) The poly house...the fence...I havent seen anything yet!

    ReplyDelete