"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Staying grounded on tax day

The tulips are blooming

Author Leda Meredith reminds us of what really matters when she says "I find it comforting to remember my true security, my survival, my ability to thrive, doesn't come from my jobs, my paychecks, or my government, but from the ground I am standing on. The plants that grow in the earth under my feet- and I try to remember that even under the pavement there is fertile soil- those plants harness sunlight through photosynthesis so that I can enjoy it as ....dinner. Because that's what food is: edible sunlight, given to us by plants. Even the animals we consume, if we eat meat, ate plants. This is what really keeps all of us alive. Without fertile soil, sunlight, water, and the plants that make use of those forces, there is no life as we know it on this planet." (exerpted from Leda's Urban Homestead)

1 comment: