"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil
is to forget ourselves."
Gandhi

Monday, April 12, 2010

Using containers


I potted up two plants this week that I've never grown before, but  if all goes according to plan, should provide a showy display on my deck this summer.  Both colocasia (or elephant ears) and rhubarb are grown for their huge leaves and rhubarb for its long red stems that can be cooked and eaten. Conveniently, these plants will adjust to varying light conditions and I will be able to move the pots around to different locations throughout the summer.
Both elephant ears and rhubarb need room to grow and should be planted in containers that are at least 18 inches wide and of equal depth. The pots I used were slightly smaller which may eventually crowd the plants and could result in smaller leaves. I may have to transplant them to bigger pots later in the season. I made sure there were adaquate drainage holes at the bottom of each pot and then I filled the containers with a combination of compost, peat moss, and organic potting mix. 
I planted Colocasia's large oval bulbs about 8 inches deep, root side down and watered them in. I should expect to see top growth beginning to form in 3- 8 weeks depending on the temperature. Rhubarb arrived as a root cutting. I buried the root and left about 2 inches of soil above the bud. Like colocasia, I will look for new growth in a few weeks. Because of their tremendous seasonal growth, both these plants are heavy feeders and will need regular applications of a balanced organic fertilizer such as fish emulsion.
I am hoping that by mid summer these pots will be filled with an attractive display of red, purple and green foliage that will add drama and flair to my back deck.
Needed: large, 24 inch pots


No comments:

Post a Comment